The Turk’s Head Cactus is one of the national emblems of the Turks and Caicos Islands where it loves and thrives in the dry climate here. It is named after the distinctive red cap that sits on top of the green barrel shape body and looks like a Turkish fez.
The Turk’s Head Cactus produces small pink flowers which grow and become the fruit which grows inside the white spongey cap. This rosey pink fruit is edible and it contains the Turks Head cactus seeds.
Here at Sunshine Nursery we have a wide variety of Turks Head cacti for you to choose from ranging in size and age.
A few tips for your Turks Head cactus:
- Does best in full sunlight
- Cover the last 1″ (2.5cm) of soil with gravel to avoid stem rot.
- Be careful not to over-water!
- Soil Type: Never use ordinary potting compost or garden soil, there are general purpose cactus mixes available.
- If you want to mix your own potting soil take: 2 parts barely fibrous garden soil, 1 part coarse sand or perlite and 1 part fine gravel.
- Always use a pot with a hole.